Tuesday, July 8, 2014

It is a matter of the Heart

Reading this past week has included some of 1 Kings, a few early Psalms, and Chapters from the book Women Living Well. Reading David as always left me with a craving the title of "after God's own heart," and feeling like I am falling short of it. I believe a small part of me has always felt jealous, as if God loved David more then me and I could never compete with him. Reading the transition from the kingdom of David to the Kingdom of Solomon I had a deep realization. David loved God, and came back to him time and time again after his sins. Solomon sought wisdom, and followed God only the first part of his life, but did not continue to seek him until the end of his life, even though he was the wises man to ever live!! All of Solomon's wisdom couldn't convince the heart.  Each king after Solomon is judged and blessed based on if His heart was seeking God.
 For the first time reading about David and searching out what God is telling me from his stories I now know it is not about some untouchable love relationship with God, but a very real and present love. Early I wrote how my job is to love God, seek that relationship with Him. The story of David is just that! The story of David is God responding to a heart that is continually coming back to God, returning to seek His presence, His grace, and His love. David sings praises of God because his mind is ever turning to God. David knows to seek forgiveness and grace from God when he has done wrong, because his mind is on God. I am continually plagued with a "be perfect," or "to do" struggle in my life. I look at things and say what are the steps I have to do to be at the level God wants me. The more God works on my life the more He continues to teach me that is isn't about a level of relationship with Him. We are not in a competition with David, or Saul or any of the people in the Bible we see with these "great" relationships with God. They are examples of people who are sinners just like us, whose hearts are continually captured by God. God loves us with a crazy, unfathomable, amazing love! That doesn't change because of our accomplishments. Davids psalms of praise to God, of singing of His attributes, of his sorrows of sins, those all come from Davids heart as it is turned to God. When I turn my heart to God everyday, I start turning to Him every minute. When I read about God, I see Him in everything continually. When I see God so much throughout the day my mind is blown and my heart is full! I am continually looking around me in awe of God. I am continually looking back at the life He has set about me, at how He takes care of me and my soul sings in amazement of His control and power and goodness in my life! David is not in the Bible because he is a megaman, but because he is an example to us of what a heart for God looks like. He is not a measurement of comparison. He is a picture of God using a sinful person for a great plan, when all he did was love and seek God. Isn't that what God's message is continually in the Bible? Seek after Him and He will set up your plans, He will give you the desires of your heart. Seek Him and you will find Him!

Deuteronomy 4:29 NIV

But if from there you seek the LORD your God, you will find him if you look for him with all yourheart and with all your soul.

Deuteronomy 4:29 NIV

But if from there you seek the LORD your God, you will find him if you look for him with all your heart and with all your soul.

Psalm 53:2 NIV

God looks down from heaven on the sons of men to see if there are any who understand, any whoseek God.

Psalm 63:1 NIV

[A psalm of David. When he was in the Desert of Judah.] O God, you are my God, earnestly Iseek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water.

Acts 17:27 NIV

God did this so that men would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from each one of us.

Hebrews 11:6 NIV

And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.

No comments: